100 amazing books and stories with big colorful pictures to lull your little one to sleep
Last Updated: March 7, 2017
This is a list of my favorite books to read to my children when it’s time to sleep. There are some classics and new “soon to be” classics on this list.
I will update the books on this list as I go through our bookshelf, but here’s a few of my favorite stories to get you started.
All of these books are big board books and hardcover editions and they are beautifully illustrated with large and colorful pictures to grab your child’s attention. These stories are appropriate for toddlers to 4-6 year olds. I’ve tried to include only “feel good” stories on this list that will bring a smile to your child’s face and leave them feeling loved and unique by the time they fall asleep.
- A Color of His Own by Leo Lionni – Beautifully written and illustrated. In this charming tale you’ll join a chamelon on his journey to discover a color of his own. A story about accepting others and accepting yourself.
- An Extraordinary Egg by Leo Lionni – A funny tale about three frogs who adopt an alligator called “chicken”.
- I’d Know You Anywhere, My Love by Nancy Tillman – A beautiful story about each child’s uniqueness and differences. Very well written and guaranteed to bring tears to your eyes.
- On the Night You Were Born by Nancy Tillman – One of my all time favorite bedtime stories that will leave your child feeling so special and loved because there is only one of them in the world.
- It’s Time to Sleep, My Love by Nancy Tillman and Eric Mextaxas – A gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous bedtime story about…sleep! This story rhymes and flows like a song to lull your child to sleep. I dare you not to fall asleep too!
- Little Blue Truck by Alice Schertle – A fun rhyming story about friendship.
- Big Red Barn by Margaret Wise Brown – My favorite “farm” story that gives your child a view of a farm from the animals’ point of view. A quiet and graceful story without a lot of obnoxious animal oinks and moos like other animal stories.
- Goodnight Moon by Margaraet Wise Brown – This is a classic for a reason! From the mouse to the dollhouse and the pictures on the wall, this is one story that will stay with you for a lifetime. My mommy read this to me when I was a child and we are keeping the tradition alive.
- Sweet Dreams, Sam by Yves Got – A “touch and feel” book that you can read to your baby! Which stuffed animal should Sam take with him to bed? It’s never too early to instill the love of reading in your baby and this is the perfect first book to make reading fun.
- Kiss Good Night (Sam Books) by Amy Hest and Anita Jeram – A cozy and gentle story about Sam and his mama bear as he gets ready for bed. It’s a dark and stormy night on Plum Street and mama and Sam go through their bedtime rituals. A charming story with beautiful illustrations.
- Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss – “Green I’ve seen, Green I’ve been. I would not eat Green Eggs and Ham.” Teaches kids not to be afraid to try new things.
- Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney – A slide and pop-up book featuring the Nutbrown Hares that expresses a mother’s love. Can you love all the way up to the moon?
- Llama Llama Red Pajama by Anna Dewdney – Deals with nighttime and separation anxiety after that kiss goodnight. Baby Llama learns that “Mama Llama’s always near, even if she’s not right here.”
- Sleep Like a Tiger by Mary Logue – An award winning magical story about a little girl who refuses to go to bed. “Does everything in the world go to sleep?”
- The Going to Bed Book by Sandra Boynton – A fun and colorful book about a motley lot of animals on a giant boat as they get ready for bed. “The sun has set not long ago./Now everybody goes below/to take a bath in one big tub/with soap all over—SCRUB SCRUB SCRUB!”
- Oh, The Places You’ll Go! by Dr. Seuss
- The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
- The Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring Lowrey
- Steam Train, Dream Train by Sherri Duskey Rinker
- Dinosaur vs. Bedtime by Bob Shea
- Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See by Bill Martin Jr.
- Good Night, Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann
- Time for Bed by Mem Fox
- Again! by Emily Gravett
- All the Awake Animals Are Almost Asleep by Crescent Dragonwagon
- Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.
- A Book of Sleep by Il Sung Na
- Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed by Eileen Christelow
- Song of Night: It’s Time to Go to Bed by Katherine Riley Nakamura
- Sleepy Bunny by Dorothy Kunhardt
- Polar Bear Night by Lauren Thompson
- Oliver Who Would Not Sleep by Mara Bergman
- No More Yawning by Paeony Lewis
- Kitten’s First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes
- Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site
- The Goodnight Train
- Dr. Seuss’s Sleep Book
- Don’t Let The Pigeon Stay Up Late!
- The Napping House
- Bear Snores On
- Snoozers: 7 Short Short Bedtime Stories for Lively Little Kids
- Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
- Pajama Time!
- In the Night Kitchen
- Go Away, Big Green Monster!
- Bedtime for Frances
- Bread and Jam for Frances
- I Need My Monster
- The Night Night Book
- Tuck Me In!
- Mama, Do You Love Me? by Barbara M. Joose
- The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown
- Sylvia Long’s Mother Goose
- Close Your Eyes by Kate Banks
- Are You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman
- Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book by Rod Campbell
- Gossie by Olivier Dunrea
- We’re Going on a Bear Hunt by Helen Oxenbury
- Love You Forever by Robert Munsch
- I Love You Through and Through by Bernadette Rossetti Shustak
- Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? by Bill Martin Jr.
- Barnyard Dance! by Sandra Boynton
- Wherever You Are: My Love Will Find You
- It’s Time to Sleep, My Love
- The Crown on Your Head
- The Spirit of Christmas
- The Heaven of Animals
- The Wonder of You
- Giraffes Can’t Dance
- The Pout-Pout Fish
- Peek-A Who?
- Doggies by Sandra Boynton
- Chugga-Chugga Choo-Choo
- Bear Snores On
- The Hiccupotamus
- Moo Baa La La La
- Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You by Dr. Seuss
- Sheep in a Jeep
- Dragons Love Tacos
- Open the Barn Door
- I Just Forgot by Mercer Mayer
- You Are My Sunshine
- Happy Hippo, Angry Duck: A Book of Moods by Sandra Boynton
- Snuggle Puppy by Sandra Boynton
- Blue Hat, Green Hat by Sandra Boynton
- Belly Button Book by Sandra Boynton
- Where Is Baby’s Belly Button? by Karen Katz
- The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt
- Beautiful Oops! by Barney Saltzberg
- The Foot Book by Dr. Seuss
- Press Here by Herve Tullet
- Potty by Leslie Patricelli
- Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems
- Pat the Bunny by Dorothy Kunhardt
- Good Night, Teddy by Francesca Ferri
- Duck & Goose, Find a Pumpkin by Tad Hills
- From Head to Toe Board Book by Eric Carle
- My New Baby by Rachel Fuller
- My Napping House by Audrey Wood
last updated 19/10/2014
Thanks for stopping by! Leave a comment if you have any questions.
I answer each and every comment left by my readers. 🙂
Hello there international friends!
The products in this post are sold in the USA by Amazon.com, but you can also find them:
in Canada on Amazon.ca
or if you’re in the UK/EU on Amazon.uk
That’s it and thank you for reading all the way to the end!
Thank you, if you have previously purchased something through one of my affiliate links! If you don’t have a need for any of the products mentioned in this post, you could simply do your regular shopping through any of the links on this site that lead to Amazon.com. You won’t pay any extra and I will receive a small commission.
Like what you’ve read?
Join our insiders list to get updates every week.